Sunday, May 8, 2011

Air-Ride Suspension Setup

Here is an overview photo of the new front suspension and steering setup.  The steering box is built by CJR Steering and is a typical steering box that would be used on a NASCAR for a road-course circuit.  It has a 17.5 to 1 ratio which gives it a quicker steering response.  It has a billet aluminum 3/4" drop pitman arm and a billet chromoly steel center link assembly made by SLR.  It is a full roller-bearing steering setup. 
This is an overview of the airbag in it's compressed state.  The airbag suspension setup that I made works well because at ride height it will have standard NASCAR handling capabilities.  At full drop it will have an extreme negative camber, which lets the wheels tip inward, so we will be able to clear large, deep dish wheels inside of our stock fender wells.
 This picture shows what the airbags look like in their inflated state. It also shows the lower boxed control arms that I fabricated to house the airbags and locate the suspension.  I built the arms with the airbag inside the bucket for strength and to hide the airbags when they are completely compressed.  I still have some more gusseting and plating to do here as well.

Frame Modifications

Here is the frame as it sits, almost stock with the exception of a couple of pieces cut off and a temporary transmission mount set in place.We are going to be changing the chassis because the design of it is made to have a roll cage inside of a car or truck go to the furthest outside points of the vehicle and since the truck we are putting it on is a very narrow-cabbed vehicle, we have to cut the chassis and narrow it up to get the fit we want.  We also need to shorten the wheel-base by 6".
Here is the chassis after we slimmed it up and shortened it by 6 inches.  I cut the outer rails off and installed some new 2"x4" .120 wall rectangular tube.  This modification will give the chassis added strength and rigidity.  I still have to plate and gusset all the open ends and intersections.  After the chassis is cleaned up, I will be adding the body mounts.